Marriage Licenses

APPOINTMENTS ARE REQUIRED.  Please call 541-473-5151.  We are located in Vale at the Courthouse, Room 101, (251 B St W, Vale OR 97918) (16 miles out of Ontario).  We are on Mountain Time Zone.  Marriage licenses will NOT be issued after 4:30 pm. Thank you.

Please limit the number of people in our office to:  a.) the 2 parties getting married; and b.) an interpreter if needed. No additional people will be permitted.

We cannot make change for a $100 bill.  Please bring $50 bill or smaller.

Please complete and bring with you the copy at the bottom of this page to reduce the time that you are in our office.

Marriage Licenses

  • If you need an interpreter/translator for written and/or oral communication please bring one with you. We do not have anyone in this office who speaks Spanish.
    • ¡INFORMACION IMPORTANTE!:  Tendra que comunicarse y llenar formas en Ingles.  Si usted necesita un intérprete por favor traiga a alguen con usted que pueda interpretarle.  No tenemos personal bilingüe.
  • Licenses issued between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, (Mtn. time zone), Monday thru Friday except holidays, by appointment.
  • No blood test or physical exam is required to obtain a license.
  • The Malheur County Clerks’ Office does NOT perform marriage ceremonies, individuals must make separate arrangements with an officiant.
  • Oregon has a 3-day waiting period before the license becomes effective.
  • The license is valid for 60 days, in the State of Oregon only.  Ceremonies must be performed in the State of Oregon.
  • Both parties must come in to our office, with picture ID.
  • $50 (as of 9/1/15) Cash (exact, no bills over $50.), Money Order or Credit Card (there is a consumer fee).
  • Both parties must know their parents’ full birth names (middle names & mother’s maiden name & double last names).
  • Both parties must know the State or Foreign Country where both parents were born.
  • Oregon allows either party to change their last name after the marriage ceremony to the other party’s last name, a combination of both last names or to retain the current last name.  Changing of a last name will require obtaining new ID documents (Drivers’ License/State ID card) and Social Security Card.
  • Social Security Numbers are requested but not required if a party does not have one.
  • If either or both parties have been previously married, you will need to indicate what number of marriage this is (2nd, 3rd, etc.), how the last marriage ended (death or divorce) and the date that the last marriage ended.
  • Education – last grade completed in school or G.E.D. and how many years of college, if any.
  • Copy of marriage license form which can be printed, filled out in rough draft and brought in with you. We will type the official license.
  • Copy of Marriage license PDF fillable form  which can be filled out in rough draft, printed and brought in with you. We will type the official license.


106.020 Prohibited and voided marriages.  The following marriages are prohibited and, if solemnized with this state, are absolutely void:

(1) When either party thereto had a wife or husband living at the time of such marriage.

(2) When the parties thereto are first cousins or any nearer of kin to each other, whether of the whole or half-blood, whether by blood or adoption, computing by the rules of the civil law, except that when the parties are first cousins by adoption only, the marriage is not prohibited or void. [Amended by 1989 c.647 S1]

Important Note: Malheur County interprets ORS 106.150 “in the presence of” to mean the couple, officiant, and two witnesses must be physically present in the same room, without the use of any electronic means such as Skype or telephone, throughout the ceremony.