Child Support Enforcement Unit

Return To District Attorney Information

Support Enforcement

The Malheur County District Attorney Child Support Enforcement Unit offers the following services:

Establish Paternity. The parents of a child born out of wedlock may sign an affidavit which legally establishes paternity of the child. If a parent will not sign an affidavit, then a petition can be filed in court to establish paternity. Once paternity is established, the DA can help you get a child support order and help you collect support.

Establish a Support Order. A parent, custodian or child may come to our office to obtain a child support order to require the parent(s) to support a child.

Modify a Support Order. Either party may request a review of their support order amount after two years, or upon a substantial change of circumstances.

Collect Support. After you obtain a support order, the DA’s Office will try to collect support in various ways, including withholding of wages or other benefits such as unemployment, worker’s compensation or retirement. We will automatically intercept any state or federal tax refunds of the nonsupporting parent if there is past due support. We may schedule examinations of the nonsupporting parent, or contempt proceedings for failing to obey the support order.

Interstate Services. When the obligated parent lives in another state, our office will forward a request to the other state to collect support. The DA’s Office must rely on the other state to handle the case. The DA’s Office also accepts requests from the custodial parent in another state to collect support from a parent who lives in Oregon.

Acquire and Enforce a Requirement to Obtain Health Insurance. Oregon law requires that all child support orders include a requirement that the obligated parent obtain health insurance coverage for the children if requested by the other party and if available at a reasonable cost through a group plan, employer or union.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR SERVICES? Generally any person who lives in Malheur County or whose obligated parent lives in Malheur County AND Any person who has physical custody of a dependent child.

Child Support Enforcement:does not:

  • Give legal advice. You should contact your family law attorney.
  • Assist you with custody or parenting time. You should contact your family law attorney.
  • Collect medical bills or enforce any parts of your divorce or order other than the support obligation.


 You may be the best source of information about your case. Please provide Child Support with as much information as you have, including:

  • Full name of the other parent, including his/her middle name
  • The other parent’s present address or last known address(s)
  • Social Security number of other parent
  • The other parent’s date of birth and place of birth
  • The obligated parent’s present or last known place of employment
  • The obligated parent’s driver license, occupational and/or professional license number(s)
  • Information regarding the obligated parent’s assets, including bank accounts, vehicles, homes or land
  • County and state of any divorce or support involving you and the other parent and provide a copy of the order
  • Birth certificate and Social Security number for the child(ren).

Electronic Disbursements by Direct Deposit or by Credit/Debit Card to any individual entitled to receive child support became mandatory in 2007.


Image Of ODJ Child Support Website

Oregon Child Support Program

Return To District Attorney Information


251 “B” St. W. | Vale, OR 97918
Hours are 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Office (541) 473-5127  | Victims Services (541) 473-5127 
Child Support Services: (541) 473-5127